In Memory of Edward Tyo & Edna Coleman

 

I was born in Cornwall, Ontario, Canada on June 1st 1925, where I lived my entire life. As you follow my journey below you will learn all about me and get to see my life through my eyes!

As a young lad, I grew up in a household with only sisters, but no mother. I was only 5 when my mom died. Being the only son in the family I had a lot of responsibilities that my father was strict on me about.

I was a good-hearted, animal-loving outdoorsman with a fondness for simpler pleasures. I enjoyed the rustic charm of camping and fishing, savoring a cold beer and entertaining others with my harmonica. Known by the name "Eddy" to most, I was renowned for my jokester side and mischievous sense of humor, always pulling pranks and bringing laughter to those around me.


The lady that lays to rest beside me was the love of my life, Edna. We met at a young age and married on Mar 26 1949 at St. John's Presbyterian Church in Cornwall.

Together we had 7 children who I was very proud of; the last being our boy Robert. Losing our son Robert after just two short hours of life was unimaginably painful for my wife and I. Alongside our children, we always housed anyone who needed a place to stay. We enjoyed the company!

We had 3 boys and 3 girls, Joe was my oldest, Eric was my middle son and Ronnie in the center was the youngest. My wife is holding our daughter Betty. Our family was quickly growing!

Here is me, my wife and my girls, Betty on the left, Barbara on the right and Judy on my lap. This photo we actually won at Maxville Car Races to get a professional family photo done, it was the only professional photo we had. It was always one of my favorites. 



My wife would now like to cut in and tell you a bit of her story, before we continue on. 



Being the eldest of my parent's children; born on Feb 7th 1930 in Cornwall, I spent some years going to school at Cornwall Public School, which is where Central Public School is today. Despite having to repeat a few grades, I did know how to read and write and that got me by just fine in life. I remember always looking out for my younger sister. I guess this is where I developed my sense of responsibility and love for family at an early age. This photo is of me with my son Eric.

I was just 19 years old when I married Eddy and started our family; I was always a dedicated house wife, caring for our children and anyone else who stepped through our door. In my golden years, my passions were fishing,  knitting, and I enjoyed going to bingo. I also had a love for watching hockey, it was a treasured tradition in the Coleman household with my father growing up and it brought back a lot of cherished memories for me.

Everyone always praised my skills in the kitchen cooking, It was so much fun hosting parties and having a great time. I particularly loved Christmas when everyone would get together, I would cook a huge feast covering the whole table, everyone would leave my place filled. I loved to cook; I think just as much as everyone loved my cooking! It was always better when my father was there joining us!

Here's an interesting fact about us; Eddy and I actually won a trophy for our exceptional dance skills. Our favorite being the "Jitterbug". We were great together, on the dance floor and off! Those were the days. That was until the incident happened, Eddy can tell you that story.

I worked for the city as a garbage man for majority of my life, as crazy as it sounds.. I did enjoy it! Unfortunately one day while working a cement slab suddenly fell on my foot and boy was it not pretty! I was known to be stubborn and never truly complained but little did I know, me refusing to go to the hospital would later cause me to have one leg amputated in my 60's because of that incident. My wife was always there for me through it all stepping up and helping out whenever I needed her too. Around 5 years later the doctors found a blood clot in my other leg which then ended up having to be removed as well. It was a hard time for me and it took an emotional toll losing my independence, even though I still drove myself around!

It wasn't long after when my wife got sick and with me not being able to care for her on a steady basis, she went to live at The Royal Manor Nursing Home where she passed away on Feb 20th 1995. It was said to have been from Circulation Problems as well.

After losing Edna, I was glad to still have my children and now grandchildren that came around to spend time with me and help out. Barbara on the right, Judy center, Betty on the left and my new granddaughter Chelsea on my lap came over to spend the holidays. 

I spent the last few years of my life living at the apartment building at 540 Adolphus in Cornwall where I would ride my scooter up and down the hallways with my grandchildren just to see them smile. At the age of 73, I passed away on Jul 13th 1998 in Cornwall where I was then reunited with my wife. Just know, we might be gone, but we are always here when you need us.



Please visit Faces Of SD&G Facebook Page to share your photos with our online community.